When you dine out, you want to be sure that the establishment is operating in a way that benefits the environment. By choosing sustainable restaurants, you can feel good about the food you’re eating, as well as the planet.
Sustainable restaurants are those who practice holistic management of their business practices and resources. These can include growing and processing foods in a way that doesn’t use up all of the soil or water on site; using local vendors whenever possible; using green cleaning products; and more. There are several things you should look for when choosing a sustainable restaurant so your outing isn’t a guilt-ridden one afterwards.
With consumers becoming more and more aware of the impact that they have on the environment, sustainable practices are now expected from all businesses. It is no longer enough for a company to simply be green — they must be sustainable. In order not to risk losing out on new business, restaurants should look into simple actions that can help reduce a restaurant’s carbon footprint while also protecting resources for future generations.
The word sustainable might be new to you, but it’s not something that restaurants are unfamiliar with. From fair pricing policies to sustainable practices and sourcing, the restaurant industry is becoming more and more environmentally friendly.
How to Find Sustainable Restaurants:
One of the best parts about eating out is getting to sample a variety of different cuisines without having to cook anything. And while it’s not always easy to know where to go for a good meal, sustainable restaurants are an excellent place to start. These eateries often feature less-processed foods, such as local and organic produce, and smaller portions so their customers don’t go home overstuffed. Sustainable restaurants also serve fewer dishes that come from the same source (e.g., more than one type of pasta or steak from the same supplier), which helps them be less environmentally taxing. They’re also better for the service industry as well: Many national chains now offer complimentary onsite recycling and composting waste services, so you don’t have to worry about what happens with your leftovers after you leave. Read on for tips on how you can find sustainable restaurants in your area.
Some points to look for while choosing sustainable restaurants on restaurant websites:
- Look for certification marks such as Green standards, BREEAM, ENERGY STAR, or FSC.
- Check those ingredients are locally sourced.
- Find out how the restaurant handles the food waste management, composting of waste, and recycling of the same.
- Ask what the restaurant’s responsibility is in relation to the environment and how they go about it.
Are there any sustainable certificates on sustainable restaurants that are globally used?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the certification requirements and standards for sustainable restaurants can vary significantly from country to country.
However, some of the most widely recognized sustainable restaurant certification programs include the Sustainable Restaurant Association’s (SRA) Green Restaurant Award and the Green Restaurant Guide’s (GRG) Sustainability Award. Additionally, many restaurants are now using the Rainforest Alliance’s (RA) Certified Sustainability Program as their sustainability standard.
There are a few sustainable certificates that are used by restaurants globally. These include the Green Restaurant Association’s LEED certification, the Sustainable Restaurant Association’s Sustain certification, and the Eco-Restaurant Association’s Triple A certification.
There are a few more global certification bodies that certify sustainable restaurants. The US-based Sustain US and the German-based TÜV Süd both offer certification for restaurants that meet specific sustainability requirements. The French certification body AIDES also offers certification for sustainable restaurants.
Some advantages of sustainable restaurants:
1. The exhaust system of the restaurant can be made from plants. This is because the plant is known to absorb toxic gases. Plants that can absorb toxic gases are the aloe vera and hibiscus plants. The aloe vera plant helps in the purification of the air and the hibiscus plant has the ability to remove odours. A Restaurant needs an exhaust system to prevent bacteria and viruses from entering the environment. An exhaust system helps in the circulation of fresh air.
2. By using recyclable materials, reduces the carbon footprint and saves the environment from the trash.
3. The usage of natural materials in the restaurant’s interior is ideal for your health and comfort.
4. No extra food chemical is used in cooking, which is environmentally friendly.
5. Farm to Table, there are so many benefits of buying from local food producers. Not only are you supporting the local economy, but you’re also minimizing your food’s impact on the environment. Here are a few ways that buying local food can help the environment:
- By buying from local food producers, you can reduce your food’s carbon footprint.
- You can buy foods in season, when they’re at their tastiest and most affordable. This means you’ll have less food spoilage and wasted food.
- Buying from local food producers may help you connect with other like-minded individuals who share your values and goals for eating well and locally. This can lead to better nutrition and lifestyle advice from trusted sources.
Food Waste Management is important
Food waste management is important, as it helps reduce the amount of waste that goes into landfills. Composting is another way to reduce the amount of waste that goes into landfills. This process helps to decompose organic materials, and ultimately create new soil. Finally, feeding animals with leftover food is also a way to reduce the amount of waste that goes into landfills. By doing this, we are reducing the amount of food that goes to waste, and helping to support local farms. You will find more information about food waste here.
After reading this article, you may be wondering how you can find which restaurant is sustainable. Finding which restaurants are sustainable can seem like a difficult task, but it doesn’t have to be. With just a few key points mentioned above you can find out which restaurants are sustainable. There are many ways that a restaurant can prove that they are trying to make the world a better place.
Would you like to receive more inspiration directly to your email inbox?
Please click here to register for Ecotourism World newsletter!